Monday, February 21, 2011

Al Pic & The Shovels (Canada, c1980)

I saw the song "Sleazy People" once described as "cool ultra new wave" so I decided to take a chance on it for $5 but I couldn't find much info about Al Pic & The Shovels. Likely from the Niagara Falls / St. Catharines, Ontario area,  I know of 3 7"s that were released sometime in the late 70s or early 80s. None of them have a picture sleeve that I've seen or any release dates on the labels. One list gave a date of 1978 and another said "early 80s". Other than "Sleazy People" I don't care much for any of their other songs. The B side is best avoided but if you do like it, their other 2 7"s (On My Mind / Fortunate Fool (Cherry CR 1001) and Sunday Behind / Love Passing By (Cherry CR 1003)) might interest you.

Al Pic & The Shovels - Sleazy People / Climbin' The Mountain 7" (Cherry CR 1002, c1980)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you ever come across "Peace Prize" 7" by the Cold Boys (from Saskatoon) ?

So obscure that there is no reference to it at all on the web ...

Mort Subite said...

Never heard of the Cold Boys.

Murf Murffy said...

al Pic is Alex Piccorillo ..was a teenage star played in the musical HAIR, bobEzrin was his producer in 70's..alex passed but . he was a good friend of mine for a number years when i lived in Niagara Falls in the 1980's , nick name Mr Excitment LOL